I tūturu te Mana Māori motuhake ki Aotearoa, i raro ki Te Wakaputanga o Te Rangatiratanga o Nu Tireni, i waitohuhia i te tau 1835. Nā te waitohutanga o Te Tiriti o Waitangi i te tau 1840, ka tukuna i tētahi kawana rerekē mō tēnei whenua, ērangi ka ū tonu ki te Mana Māori Motuhake e mōhiotia nei, ko te Tino Rangatiratanga.
Te Whakaputanga o Te Rangatiratanga o Nu Tīreni, signed in 1835, is New Zealand’s Declaration of the Independence, and firmly establishes the sovereign authority of Maori in Aotearoa. Te Tiriti o Waitangi, signed in 1840, allows for a different governance regime for the country but also recognises and validates Maori sovereignty as “tino rangatiratanga”.
Our foreign relations must be guided by those foundation documents and the principles of Te Ao Māori, and our desire for a peaceful and positive world free from the control of major powers and their corporations.
Our foreign relations must also be consistent with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, and other international covenants on human rights, employment conditions, the environment and the wellbeing of children and women.
MANA policy priorities are to:
Uphold the rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Incorporate the UNDRIP into NZ Domestic Law
- Support the right of Māori to develop relationships with other indigenous peoples
- Develop arrangements that recognise and protect indigenous sovereignty
- Support the struggle for Indigenous rights and self-determination in West Papua
- Support the struggles of indigenous peoples around the world for decolonisation
Be responsible global citizens
- Limit its military engagements to peacekeeping and rescue missions
- Withdraw all NZ military forces from hostile combat activities
- Deny other countries the right to use our territories to spy on us and on others
- Provide support for displaced peoples from the Pacific
- Be more consistent, positive and caring in our response to refugees
- Reduce our carbon emission levels in line with Paris 2016 commitments
- Support the campaign to make Israel withdraw from Palestine
- Continue with its nuclear free policy
- Stop the purchase of NZ lands by overseas interests